|IF YOU ARE STOPPED BY THE POLICE, WILL YOU KNOW YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS?|
If you are stopped by the police and questioning goes beyond a request for your driver's
license and insurance card, you should hand the attached card to the officer. Remain silent
until the officer has read the card. Make sure you have read the 8 points on this card, so that
you understand your rights at the time of the stop.|
Driver's Rights Card
NOTICE TO OFFICER:
This document constitutes an official notification and should be retained for your records.
1. I hereby tender my driver's license and proof of insurance.
2. I have committed no crime and request that my papers be returned to me and that I be allowed to depart immediately.
3. If you are not going to allow me to leave at this time, I will assume that this is more than a brief investigory stop and that I am under arrest.
4. I invoke my RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT, and do not wish to make any statements, nor do I wish to answer any questions relating to consumption of alcohol. I rightfully, and voluntarily CHOOSE NOT TO TAKE ANY FIELD SOBRIETY TESTS, including the handheld ALCO-SENSOR breath testing device (i.e. ABC's, touch nose, balancing tests, etc).
5. I DO CONSENT to tests of my blood, breath, or urine, at the police station or state testing facility, provided that (1) they are conducted in compliance with O.C.G.A. § 50-13-1, et seq., (2) I am afforded independent testing at a private medical facility by personnel of my own choosing.
(See Other Side)
I in no way waive or withdraw my request for independent testing, nor do I waive any deficiencies in the procedures or advisement which you provide during this arrest.
6. In the event that I am served with a Notice of Intent to Suspend my license, I hereby request a hearing on the proposed administrative suspension, and that you FORWARD MY REQUEST IMMEDIATELY to the Georgia Deparment of Public Safety, P.O. Box 1456, Atlanta, Georgia 30371.
7. I do NOT CONSENT TO A SEARCH of my person, vehicle, or any other property without my WRITTEN permission.
8. I immediately INVOKE MY RIGHT TO AN ATTORNEY and request that I be allowed to call ATTORNEY GEORGE STEIN AT 681-4000. I will answer no further questions until my attorney, George Stein, is present.
THE FOLLOWING CODE PROVISIONS ENTITLE ME TO THE RIGHTS OUTLINED ABOVE:
U.S. Constitution 5th and 14th Amendments: Georgia Constitution Art. 1, § 1, Paras. 1 & XVI; O.C.G.A. §§ 24-9-20, 40-6-391, 40-6-39240-6-67.1. 40-11-9. 50-13-1 et seq.
Let the card speak for you. Don't read it to the officer. These cards won't prevent a drunk driver from being caught, if sufficient VISIBLE proof of impairment exists (such as staggering, belligerence, etc.), so don't expect the card to solve all problems.
NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER
The information shown is intended to help educate members of the Georgia motoring public as to their rights under the law and to assist presumptively innocent citizens in properly asserting those rights. It is not intended to aid drunk drivers in evading punishment.
24 HR DUI INFOLINE
Toll Free: 888-38-COURT